Unveiling the spacesuits the Future Astronauts will wear in space is the latest milestone as Virgin Galactic heads towards commercial operations in 2020.
In January, Virgin Galactic Founder Sir Richard Branson and Under Armour CEO and Founder Kevin Plank announced a collaboration which saw Under Armour become Virgin Galactic’s Technical Spacewear Partner.
Fast forward to October and the stage was set for the global reveal of the spacewear system for Virgin Galactic astronauts, the first such collection ever created specifically for private astronauts.
Our Director of Production Leon Schlesinger was at the iFLY indoor skydiving centre in Yonkers, upstate New York, for the big reveal as two ‘dancers’ took to a wind tunnel filled with smoke, giving the illusion of floating in space, before Sir Richard stepped on stage.
“This was a challenging shoot because it was dark, smoky and confined – we were juggling live interview requests, bespoke interview requests and bespoke B-roll requests.
“It was exhilarating and thrilling to be at such a momentous event, and the journalists in the room were so engaged.”
Our remit included a mix of PR and production:
- Securing live and pre-recorded interview opportunities with Virgin Galactic spokespeople in key markets
- Inviting broadcast media to attend the event, capture content and secure exclusive interviews with spokespeople
- Securing coverage of B-Roll footage and stills
- On-site SMT management to facilitate live and pre-recorded interviews with global media
- Livestreaming encoding with screening to a private YouTube link for Virgin Galactic employees and Future Astronauts across the world
- B-Roll capture of IVs with Future Astronauts, Sir Richard Branson, Kevin Plank